I have some of these rose cuttings stuck in potatoes, because I've heard that works, too, and I've got others I've just put in the dirt after cutting the bottoms of the stems.
For pots, I've got several milk cartons with the tops cut off, several cream cheese bowls, and at least two five-gallon ice cream buckets. This is besides all the little and medium planter pots that are actually made for this purpose. Of course, roses need good draining soil, so anything plastic I'm upcycling for this project has had to have holes cut out of the bottom.
The roses are currently sitting in baggies, and or overturned soda bottles to form a nice greenhouse, and then situated all over our dining room table at the window.
Yes, I did eventually cut off the blossoms so the roots would have a chance to grow. I've also so far added more soil to all the pots, mixed in perlite, dried out used coffee grounds and mixed those in, and next I intend to feed with a little banana peel.
My husband says I'm obsessed.
My sister-in-law says I'm obsessed. Then again, it's her husband (my brother) who is spraying his new little roselets with epsom salts and aspirin, so I think I'm in good company.